Farsley Farfield 6J's Blog

Be a part of our learning adventure!

Friday 12th February

Friday 12th February | No comments yet
6

Well done everyone for a fantastic half term of home learning. You have been a pleasure to teach, at home and at school, and you should all feel very proud of what you have achieved. I hope you enjoy this week’s showcase and enjoy your half term break next week!

Biographies

The children have worked really hard on their biographies of Charles Darwin and Mary Anning this week. First, they researched the scientist they were going to write about. Then, they thought carefully about how to write an introduction, use formal conjunctions and adverbs, use punctuation to join independent clauses, include punctuation for parenthesis, and finally write a conclusion! Some children supported each other to edit their work using break-out rooms on Google Meet and I was really impressed with the way that the children responded to feedback on their writing.

Evolution

As well as finding out more about two famous scientists (Charles Darwin and Mary Anning), the children finished off their work on evolution with a worksheet on BrainPop and by thinking about how humans might evolve in the future to adapt to our ever-changing world. The second task was a little bit more fantasy than science, but the children certainly had some good ideas. Which is your favourite?

Jimi carefully thought about how the bird on the right’s long beak would help it pass on its genes to its offspring.

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is to make no one be allergic to anything. This feature would make it easier to survive because it would make it so that less people would die and that everyone would eat everything so it would be easier to find food that you’re not allergic to and that you can eat. (Lucy)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is their height, they will be taller than their ancestors. This feature would make it easier to survive because you can see for far distances and if someone wants to find you they will be able to see you. (Amba)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is…wings!!! This feature would make it easier to survive because then we wouldn’t have to use cars or planes or trains. (Lillie)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve by growing wings. This feature would make it easier to survive because we could go anywhere in the world without the need for cars and airplanes that pollute the skies. Additionally, without the use of cars, we would not need roads as well which means we could plant trees and greenery where roads used to be leading to a better environment. (Gursimran)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is…Growing our tails back. This feature would make it easier to survive because then we can climb trees and grab things easier. (Archie)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is… To have a larger bladder and when we pee to pee water. This feature would make it easier to survive because… You would need the loo less and if you are thirsty you can have a drink at your desk. (Jacob)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is… To grow a third arm. This feature would make it easier to survive because…Because it could be helpful in many ways such as cleaning/organizing quicker and it could help us cook quicker if we used it right. (Nathan)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is radioactive immunity. This feature would make it easier to survive because humans could go in radioactive zones and power the world with radioactive materials. (Faran)

The new feature I would like to see humans evolve is better immunity. This feature would make it easier to survive because of illnesses. (Fatimah)

Art

Whenever we ask the children what they would like to do more of at home, they say art! So here is another fantastic collection of drawings and pictures from this week – there really are a lot of talented artists in Year 6.

Maths

We haven’t shared a lot of maths on the blog this term, as the children are mostly working in their White Rose Maths booklets, but I would like to say how impressed I’ve been with the children for the understanding they have shown of two tricky concepts recently: percentages and algebra.

Bar models are a great way of solving word problems involving percentages. Here are some drawn by the children at school:

This week has been an introduction to algebra, which I hope most children haven’t found as difficult as they thought they might. If you would like an algebra challenge to try during half term, here is one that I like:

Thank you again to all children, parents and carers for making this half term such a success. We hope to see you all back at school soon.

Mrs Sykes and Miss Jones