Farsley Farfield 6J's Blog

Be a part of our learning adventure!

First week of Year 6

Friday 11th September | No comments yet
3

It was an absolute delight to have the children back in school this week after such a long time at home. They have all settled really well into Year 6 and although they are a little tired, they all worked really hard to impress.

We have been ensuring we have good hand hygiene and ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ this week. The children have managed really well with this and I am impressed with their maturity and attitude towards the ‘new normal’. Some children have brought in their own little bottle of hand gel and a small packet of tissues which they have kept on their desk – this is absolutely fine and has worked well but we also have plenty in school.

Maths

This week we have began work on our place value unit. The children have been working with numbers up to 10 million and I have been impressed with their efforts so far. This weeks homework involves them developing reading and writing these size numbers further. You will also need to use a die – if you don’t have one there are lots of online tools available.

English

This week we have started to read our Autumn class text – Kensuke’s Kingdom. It has already given us lots of ups and downs and a whole host of emotions and we are only at chapter 4! We had the opportunity to carry out some hot seating and I was very impressed with the answers given by the children in the hot seat and also the questions asked by the rest of the children. They had really thought carefully about the information they had been provided with in the text to construct their answers. I am looking forward to getting started on chapter 4 next week.

Science

We have started our classification work and the children were very engaged in the learning. We used branch databases to classify fish into categories based on their similarities and differences. Here are some pictures showing the results.

We held our very first online special mention assembly this week and it went really well. The children enjoyed it and were still able to celebrate all of the hard work from the week. My two special mentions for this week are pictured below. Well done!

Have a lovely weekend!

Miss Jones