Happy New Year
Friday 11th January | No comments yet
Welcome back! Thank you again for the lovely Christmas gifts. We really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
We’ve had a great first week of the Spring term. This is a great time of year when there is lots to do and few interruptions. The children in 6H have really impressed us with their superb attitudes and high quality work!
We have started new Literacy and History topics: biographies & the Industrial Revolution. We have been exploring what life was like in Britain before, during and after the Industrial Revolution and the impact it had. In Literacy, we’ve looked at Queen Victoria and Charles Dickens. Dickens was inspired by many of the issues of the time period so we have been researching things like child labour, the development of the railway and other social issues. We watched an interesting biographical video about him which you may like to look at again at home. I would also really recommend watching the film, “The Man Who Invented Christmas”. It is a fascinating portrayal of the life of Charles Dickens while he was writing “A Christmas Carol.” It was available on Netflix over Christmas but I am not sure if it is still there. I have the DVD so I will show the class a few clips next week.
One of the most exciting things this week is our trial of the on-line Spelling Game “Spelling Shed”. Year 6 are trialling it for two weeks as we decide whether or not we should purchase it for the school. We would like the children to have a go at logging-in this weekend and playing some of the games. The teachers are learning how to use it too so more games may appear as we work out what we’re doing! The children’s log-in details are the same as for Mathletics. We have put them in the front of their planners as a reminder.
Click here to access the game: https://www.spellingshed.com/en-gb/index.html
- Learning Log: Create a timeline in preparation for some biography writing at school. Details are in the Learning Log book.
- Spelling: Practise and memorise our 16 class target words (They are on the sheet in the Spelling folder. Children DO NOT need to complete all of the activities) AND try playing Spelling Shed. Mrs Heap will be checking her teacher account to see who has played it. We will be having a Year 5/6 list spelling test next week.
- Wednesday 23rd January 6:30-7:30 p.m. – Year 6 SATs and Residential Parents’ Meeting
- Friday 25th January – Drug Awareness visit
- Tuesday 29th January and Wednesday 30th January – Year 6 Parents’ Evening Appointments (Please return your slip as soon as possible.)